Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Last da y of Canterbury

Canterbury, 10:00 pm

I just had my best day of the trip so far. After breakfast, mom and I spent the morning walking together and shopping, just doing whatever we wanted really. There are an inordinate amount of both hair salons and thrift stores here in Canterbury. I mean it. I found 3 salons on one street. I was very pleased with myself for finding 2 cute pairs of shoes, and one adorable dress at a thrift shop, all for 5 pounds. I am the ninja of shoppers. I found a few more gifts here as I had hoped, but there are still more to go.

After stopping back at our rooms to change out our laundry (the entire first floor smells like detergent because we've all been doing laundry like crazy people, since it's free), we walked back through the center of town to one of the pubs and had tea together, which was lovely. I happened to spot dad walking through the streets as we were eating, and we whistled at him to come just us, which he did. He had spent the morning in the cathedral archives; he was a happy man.

After tea, mom and I continued our shopping together, although we didn't get anything then. It was just so fun to walk around and be together since we both love this so much. After Aimee got out of rehearsal, we all walked over the the cathedral for Evensong. For those who don't know what Evensong is, it's an ancient Christian service that takes place in the evening. It's a short, quiet, beautiful service mainly geared, in my opinion, to reflection and quiet rest. There's always the same order of music sung by the choir, usually the Preces and Responses (a set sung phrases and responses, ie “Lord, show Thy mercy upon us. And grant us Thy salvation”), a Psalm setting, the Magnificat and Nunc Dimitis (Mary's and Simeon's songs of praise), an anthem, and a hymn. It's my favorite service of all, the one I can connect the most with.

I hadn't been in the cathedral yet since we had arrived, so the minute I walked through the massive doors and saw the beautiful vastness of space open up above me, my heart thrilled. We walked through the huge nave, up and stone stairs beneath the central tower, and through the intricate wooden and marble screen that houses the organ and separates the nave from the quire and chancel. The service was to take place on the quire, and as I sat down in the three rising rows of wooden pews, I marveled at the fact that I felt like I was coming back to a place a knew well.

Space is the biggest impression you get when you first enter the cathedral, but the longer you're there, the more you become sensitive to the unbelievable intricacy of it's craftsmanship. I sat completely still and just stared around me; millions of glass fragments, set in windows that were glowing in the sun; beautiful, intricate designs that look like the simply blossomed out of the solid stone they're made of; gold, painted stone, unbelievable beauty and grandeur everywhere. It's indescribable, and unbelievably wonderful.

As the choir sang the first notes of that familiar services, tears sprang to my eyes, and stayed there pretty much for the rest of the service. To take part in the service, and to know that these words have been said and sung here in this very place every night for over a thousand years was humbling and awe-inspiring, like having an amazing facet of knowledge, that's reward is simply knowing that you have it. I don't know if that will make sense to anyone else, maybe it's too personal to describe.

I worshiped more completely in that moment and time than I have had the privilege to in a long time. I felt refreshed, and loved, and beautiful, and rested, all at the same time. The presence of God does that to me.

After the service, we joined up with another family for dinner. They took us to an Indian restaurant call Kashmir, and I think it was some of the most amazing food I've ever had. I'd never had Indian before. I am now a convert.

So basically, that was my wonderful day, completely and perfectly unique to Rebecca Turner.

One week down today.

Day 8, last day in Canterbury

Today has been a pretty quiet day so far. At breakfast, the head of King's College School where we are staying came and spoke to us for a few minutes about the building we were eating in and the history of the place. I found that Augustine had this hall built as his residence while they built the enormous abbey just next to it. That was about 500 AD, which is pretty staggering. Then King Henry the VIII came along and burnt down the abbey, and used the hall where we ate as a small palace, and Charles the I and II stayed here, as well as Queen Elizabeth I.

Mom, dad and I also walked over to see St. Martin's church, which is the oldest place of continuing Christian worship in Great Britain. Kind Ethelbert built it for his wife who was a Christian, and then invited Augustine to come and build the abbey. It's incredible to see thousand year old history just standing in front of you like that.

Today we have our tour of the cathedral then the choir us giving a private (as in, no one else in the cathedral) concert for the parents, which is pretty unheard of, something that can only be arranged when you're working with the Choirmaster of the cathedral himself.

Mom, dad and I are going to do some shopping then stop for a glass of wine and maybe some lunch together since Aimee is going shopping with a few of her friends in the choir. I'm taking full advantage of being of drinking age here. It's fun to be able to order a glass of wine when I want it.

I think today at the pub may be the last time I'll have internet access before I find it somewhere in Venice once we get there. I'm a little home sick but ready for a new adventure. I've never been somewhere I haven't known the language and it intimidates me a little. But we'll see.

My dearest love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment