Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Short posts and open-air markets

August 17, 2011
Jinja, Uganda

Today was technically my last day in Uganda. We’ll be leaving Jinja by car tomorrow morning to head up the Kampala where I will then get to the airport. I’m bittersweet about it, leaving I mean. I’m planning to use my 24 hours of solo travel time to reflect and write a little, but tonight, I plan to be with the girls, talk, laugh, and eat on my last evening here. I don’t have the time to reflect that I need to really write what I want to so, sometime in the next 3 days, I will send out whatever I end up writing while on my way back to home. :)
Our big outing today consisted of going to the central market, which is basically a mall except its open-air, flea market-esque, and the floor is a little muddy, the air is a little smelly, and the isles are a little narrow. There was everything from baby clothes, to bathmats, potato sacks to popcorn in tiny little bags there. It was a cool experience. We spent awhile there, wending our way back and forth through the many, many rows of stalls. Other than that outing, our day was pretty quiet. The babies are both well on the way to being better, so much so that we are not planning to stay up with them around the clock tonight.
We’ll be leaving here in the morning to get to Kampala and have some lunch before I head off on my long trek back stateside.

I’m coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment